Skip to Content
Logo  Turley Redmond Rosasco & Rosasco, L.L.P.
Practice Areas

How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim

Five stars

Without you Sir, I would have been a lost case. I will not forget all you have done for me.

B.R., Queens

Job Accident Law Firm Helps Clients File Claims in Ronkonkoma, Shirley, Riverhead, Garden City, and New York City 

have been injured on the job. Now what? Most workers know they are entitled to workers’ compensation for job–related injuries, but have no idea how to claim their benefits. As a result, many workers have inadvertently waived their rights for failure to take action soon enough. Turley Redmond Rosasco & Rosasco urges injured workers to seek legal counsel as soon as practicable. The workers’ compensation claims process is complicated, and one error can cause stressful delays, or worse, cost you your benefits entirely. If you have questions about what you need to do to secure your rightful benefits, schedule a free consultation with our New York job accident law firm at our office. We’re conveniently located in Manhattan, Suffolk County and Nassau County. 

What to Do After Your Accident

You must notify your employer about your injury right away. If possible, let your employer know immediately after the accident occurs. However, this may not be possible if you were rushed to the emergency room or if you did not realize you were injured at the time, especially if it was a construction accident. You must nonetheless let your employer know within 30 days of the workplace accident. Some injuries develop over time, including repetitive stress injuries, hearing loss, and toxic exposure-related diseases, in which case you should notify your employer as soon as you are diagnosed. 

You have two years to file your claim with the New York State Worker’s Compensation Board. This two-year deadline tolls from the date of your workplace accident or the date you knew or should have known that your injury was related to your job. However, we strongly suggest you file your claim as soon as you can.


Obtain a Medical Report Within 48 Hours

For the sake of your health and your workers’ compensation claim, you should obtain timely medical care. Inform your doctor of the employment-related nature of your injury so he can take the steps necessary to complete your claims application. Your doctor should complete his assessment and submit the Doctor’s Initial Report on form C-4 to the New York State Workers’ Compensation District Office within 48 hours of the accident. He must also send copies to you, your employer and your employer’s insurance carrier.

What Happens After You Receive Form C-2F – Employer’s Report of Work-Related Injury/Illness?

The insurance carrier has 14 days to send you a written statement that explains your legal rights or, if earlier, when it sends you your first check. At that time, the insurer also must include a list of providers within its network where you can obtain your diagnostic tests, if this is required of you.

The insurer starts paying your benefits within 18 days if your claim is not disputed and if you were off work for more than seven days. Conversely, the insurer or employer must notify the Workers’ Compensation Board within that time period if they plan to dispute the claim.

Let Our Job Accident Law Firm from Our Team Help You File a Successful Workplace Injury Claim

Do not risk denial or delay of your workers’ compensation benefits. Contact us to schedule your free consultation with a job accident lawyer at Turley Redmond Rosasco & Rosasco today. Our workers compensation lawyers can guide you through the complicated process of recovering the benefits you are entitled to receive under the law.

Top 100 Lawyers
Best Law Firms