Helping Victims of Occupational Diseases in Ronkonkoma, Shirley, Riverhead, Garden City, and New York City Obtain Their Rightful Workers Compensation
Did your job make you sick? This is not a rhetorical question. Unhealthy workplaces throughout New York make workers seriously ill. If your workplace made you sick, you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefit, and an occupational disease lawyer at our firm can help you obtain your rightful damages.
Turley Redmond & Rosasco is experienced in recovering compensation for challenging occupational disease claims. We fight for your rightful medical care, wages and disability payments. Our workers’ compensation lawyers guide you through the process of documenting your illness and its link to your workplace environment. We also demand that you not be forced to return to unsafe working conditions. Contact us today to discuss your case during a free and confidential consultation.
What Is an Occupational Disease?
An occupational disease is an umbrella term for an illness that results from a working condition. A one-time exposure to the working condition may cause an acute disease or long-term exposure may result in chronic illness. Furthermore, any system, organ or body part may succumb to an occupational disease. Common occupational diseases include:
- Mesothelioma — A construction and demolition crew may contract mesothelioma from inhalation of asbestos. Officer workers in older buildings may also come into contact with this deadly fiber.
- Lung disease and cancer — Firepersons are particularly susceptible to rare cancers and lung diseases as a result of breathing in burning toxic smoke. Our firm helps the heroes who participated in rescue, recovery and clean up of the 9/11 World Trade Center terrorist attack and fell ill from the horrific ground zero conditions.
- Cancers — Workers who handle chemicals, such as farmers, pest control, hairdressers, mechanics and manufacturing, have a high risk of cancers.
- Skin disease — Contact with toxins can irritate the skin and result in serious dermatological conditions.
Recovering Workers’ Compensation for an Occupational Disease
Workers’ compensation covers work-related conditions. Often an employer and its insurance company attempt to deny that an occupational disease is work-related. In other words, you may clearly be sick, but need to prove causation between your workplace environment and your medical condition. Our attorneys are skilled at making this important connection to prove you are entitled to worker’s compensation benefits.
Another objection often involves timing of the claim. New York workers’ compensation law requires you to file your claim by the later of:
- Two years from the date of your disability
- Two years from the time you knew or should have known that your disease was due to the nature of your employment
“Nature of your employment” means the condition was naturally incident to the particular occupation. For example, an agricultural workers’ cancer was caused by exposure to a particular type of pesticide used on crops or a painter develops severe headaches after years of stripping lead paint.
Contact an Occupational Disease Lawyer at Our Firm to Recover Benefits for Your Occupational Illness
Recovering benefits for an occupational disease is complex. Learn the steps you should take to file a successful workers’ compensation claim during a free consultation with an occupational disease lawyer at Turley Redmond & Rosasco. Contact us today to speak with one of our attorneys. We serve clients throughout New York City, Shirley, Riverhead, Ronkonkoma, and Garden City.