Skip to Content
Logo  Turley Redmond & Rosasco, L.L.P.
News & Resources

Search Our FAQ's

Workers Compensation Top Ten Tips – Tip #1

File a C-3 Form with the New York State Workers Compensation Board
I wish I had a dollar for every client who told me: “I already filed my claim”, when in fact, the New York State Workers Compensation Board knows nothing about their injury. Many claimants mistakenly believe that their rights are protected simply by filling out an Accident Report (Form C-2…confusing, huh?) with the employer. Nothing could be further from the truth. Employers frequently bury Accident Reports or simply neglect to forward them to the insurance carrier and the Workers Compensation Board. Either way, it can severely delay your medical care and cash benefits. The only sure way to make sure that your claim is processed timely is to file a C-3 Form.
You can get a C-3 Form from either the New York State Workers Compensation Board or a workers compensation attorney. If your injury is serious (you are out of work more than two weeks and/or the injury may be permanent, you should consult a workers compensation lawyer before you fill out the form. Just like TV, “anything you say now may be used against you” at a later time, so better to be safe than sorry.
Once a C-3 is filed and a case indexed (you get an eight digit WCB case # in the mail) by the New York State Workers Compensation Board, the insurance carrier has strict time deadlines to answer your claim and start paying benefits if you are eligible. The C-3 form is the single most important form among the hundreds used at the New York State Workers Compensation Board. You will never get a tax refund if you don’t file a tax return, right? The C-3 is just like a tax return – you need to file it to make sure you get all the compensation you deserve. File the C-3 as soon as possible after your accident, or you will be at the mercy of the insurance companies.
Next Week – How to Find a “Good” Workers Compensation Attorney

Top 100 Lawyers