Why do you need a workers’ compensation lawyer?
Many people think they can get workers’ compensation benefits on their own. This is rarely the case, however. Workers’ compensation claims are often denied or undervalued. Individuals typically do not have the resources to fight their employer and its insurance carrier.
By working with an attorney, you will have an experienced advocate protecting your rights. You will likely increase your chances of getting the workers’ comp benefits you need to recover from your injury.
How an attorney can help
A workers’ compensation lawyer can provide:
- Legal knowledge: Workers’ compensation attorneys are thoroughly familiar with the state’s workers’ comp laws. Unless you work in this area of law, you will not know all aspects of it. And because the laws change, you need a lawyer who is up to date on current laws.
- Navigation through the process: Even cases that appear straightforward can become complex. Your claim may be denied or the payments delayed. You may have to appeal and get a hearing before a workers’ compensation law judge. An attorney will explain each step, help you complete the paperwork and discuss your options with you.
- An advocate fighting for you: Your employer and/or its insurance company will have lawyers representing their interests. Who will protect your rights if you do not have an attorney?
- Job protection: Worried that your employer will retaliate and fire you if you report your injury or file a workers’ comp claim? This is against the law. If it happens to you, a lawyer can protect your rights.
- Maximum benefits for your injury: A knowledgeable lawyer will work to ensure you receive the full benefits you need, including wage replacement benefits, medical coverage and compensation for any permanent injuries.
Learn more about working with an attorney and how it may benefit you.