Construction workers’ accidents: Another death causes concernMonday, February 27, 2017
Building authorities in New York recently expressed their concern about the number of fatalities in the construction industry. The City Council said construction workers’ accidents on New York building sites caused the deaths of 11 people last year. A call was made for harsher enforcement of compliance with safety standards after yet another life was recently lost on a construction site.
A stop work order was issued immediately following the fatal incident that claimed the life of a 43-year-old worker from the Bronx who died at a site where a Brooklyn hotel is under construction. Not many details about the circumstances under which the accident happened were made available. The worker’s death was reportedly caused by a struck-by hazard.
A part of a mechanical device that is used to drill holes for pile driving apparently became detached and flew off, striking the construction worker in his head. What caused the part to break off will likely be determined when federal safety inspectors investigate the incident. The president of the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York said too many construction companies and contractors fail to prioritize employee safety.
Following fatal construction workers’ accidents, surviving family members may seek financial aid to cope with the expenses related to end-of-life arrangements and the unexpected loss of income. Death benefits may be filed with the New York workers’ compensation program. Some families and covered dependents choose to utilize the skills of an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to navigate the administrative and legal processes of benefits claims on their behalves.
Source: rew-online.com, “Latest worker death prompts fresh safety call“, Linda Barr O’Flanagan, Oct. 24, 2016